A couple years back, I began writing monthly to-do lists to help me keep track of what’s on my plate. I share these lists here, and report back each month on what I was able to accomplish.
My August list focused on getting reading to launch into a new academic year and a new book project. Here is what I was able to accomplish in the last month:
- Refreshed my home office. When the pandemic started, I set up my home office in a very quick fashion that didn’t really allow for much intentionality. Over the last month, I set up a standing desk, installed a couple of computer monitors, and refreshed my Zoom background with some new bookshelves.
- Launched into the new academic year. I celebrated starting this new academic year by putting in my fall tea order (I switch from herbals to chai and black teas), engaging in our annual leadership retreat, and welcoming students back to campus with our institution’s block party.
- Made a plan for my book project. With reviewer feedback in hand, it’s time to start planning out the tasks for the second edition of one of my books that I’ll be working on this fall. I had the opportunity to be coached on my plan for this project in August and was able to start setting up a to-do list of next actions to move this forward.
- Ate a bunch of seasonal fruit while it’s still in season. One of my favorite parts of summer is the fruit and I’ve taken advantage of the summer harvest by eating fresh berries each morning for breakfast.
August was a very satisfying month since it included some nice refreshes and transitions to a new academic year. And now it’s time to plan for a new month of to-do items! I’m ready to launch into September and see what this fall season holds.
Here are some of the items on my September to-do list:
- Prep my fall/winter wardrobe. I expect that it will stay warm here in Denver at least through the end of September, but I’d like to pull out my fall clothes and see if anything needs to be donated or replaced before the weather turns colder.
- Try some barre3 classes. Recently, I installed a ballet barre in my home gym area (see this tutorial) and purchased a subscription to barre3. I’d like to experiment with some classes and see what I like for strength training and stretching that might augment my other fitness and wellness practices.
- Bulk prep fall content. With the academic year starting in full swing, I want to get ahead on recording podcast episodes and drafting blog posts to give myself a little cushion for weeks that are extra busy or stressful where I might need some additional recovery time.
- Watch You’ve Got Mail. Seasonal viewings of favorite movies is something I love to do. I haven’t watched this classic rom-com in a while and I always associate it with the fall because of the iconic quote: “Don’t you love New York in the fall? It makes me want to buy school supplies. I would send you a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils if I knew your name and address.”
Once again, this next month is looking pretty full! What are you looking forward to in the month of September?