Now that we’re in the second month of 2023, I can see that it’s time for a bit of a reset with my routines. I have several daily routines that have fallen off and I’m ready to commit to bringing them back.
First, I needed to reflect on why these routines have fallen to the wayside and I’ve found a couple main challenges:
- I’m getting up later in the morning.
- My plate at work is very full and I tend to have less energy at the end of the day/week.
My work life is going to remain full for a while, but I don’t want to wait to ease back into the daily routines that will be energy-giving over time. By getting up a little earlier in the mornings, I can build in the daily routines that I’ve been missing.
(Realistically, I know if I save these tasks and routines to the end of the day I’ll be less likely to do them.)
Here is what I’m planning to bring back into my day:
- Journaling my three morning pages
- Practicing yoga for 20 minutes
- Meditating for 10 minutes a day
- Walking at least two miles on my treadmill (listening to an audio book or podcast during this time is always motivating)
Altogether, these routines add up to about 90 minutes of activities that I’ll need to make room for each morning. I need to be getting ready for work by about 6:40am, so that means I need to be up and moving each morning by about 5am.
That’s not only doable, but incredibly realistic for morning routines that I’ve stuck to in the past. Putting together this plan, writing it down, and committing to this change feels really good.
I’ll check back in next week on my progress but, in the meantime, where might you need a reset in this second month of the year?