This past week, I traveled on a plane for the first time in over three years.
This out-of-town conference was my first time navigating an airport in some time, so I made all the plans to ensure that I had everything I needed even if I was feeling a little rusty (you can check out this podcast episode to hear more about my prep).
I thought it would also be fun to share an update on my travel essentials here on the blog. In addition to the clothes, toiletries, and other basics that I packed, there were some other items I didn’t want to forget to bring along.
- noise-cancelling headphones (I have this pair)
- downloaded audiobooks (I usually stream these, so having local copies allowed me to listen to them without wifi)
- physical book (just in case I needed a back-up)
- iPad mini (for ebook reading and jigsaw puzzling)
- jigsaw puzzle app (also possible to use without wifi)
- scarf (I always get so cold on planes!)
- mask (I masked throughout the trip since that’s what I’m still doing at home)
- sanitizer wipes (for arm rests and general seat area)
- carry-on only luggage (since I only stayed one night, I could limit to just carry-ons for this trip; I brought a rolling bag and backpack)
- 5-year journal (I fill this out every day, even when traveling)
- regular journal (this is where I log my three morning pages each day)
- Peloton app (for hotel gym or working out on my own in my room)
- Serial Reader app (for my daily reading session of the most current classic on my list)
- vitamins and meds (I take vitamins and meds each morning and evening, so I brought my day-of-the-week pill organizer with me)
- eye mask (this has become a must for me to block out any blinking lights or other distractions)
- melatonin (I’ve been taking 5mg each night before bed in gummy form to help me fall asleep and stay asleep)
- white noise machine (I use this machine every night, so it was worth it to bring with me)
- refillable water bottle / tea container
- mixed nuts (for a quick protein hit)
- a few tea bags of my favorite brand / flavors (I mostly drink Stash)
- phone charger (obviously)
- laptop charger (obviously)
- fitbit charger (just in case I needed it, but I charged before I went since I was just gone for a couple of days)
- laptop connectors of all kinds (I presented via powerpoint from my mac)
These travel essentials served me so well! What travel essentials would you prioritize?