My creative juices are back and it’s resulted in a new product that I’m designing for release this summer.
Lots of folks are heading in the direction of blended courses this fall and I’ve been getting a LOT of questions coming my way lately since many folks know me as the author of The Blended Course Design Workbook. I can’t keep up with all the questions and the virtual trainings that are being requested so…
I decided to design an online course supplement to go with the book so I can scale my support offerings around the topic of blended course design.
It’s hard to believe that it has been two years since I created SoTL by Design, my self-paced course on designing and implementing scholarship of teaching and learning projects. This new course, Blend by Design, is following a similar structure and will also be self-paced and video based. It will work well with The Blended Course Design Workbook, but I’m also trying to design the course so it can stand alone.
My goal is to make Blend by Design a great option for individuals who are designing a blended course and who need a little support AND a great option for faculty developers who need a packaged version of a blended course design institute that they can implement as a remote training option.
Like the creation of SoTL by Design did, it’s taking over my life a little right now (at least my evenings and weekends), but I’m having a total blast.
Course design is. my. jam.
Here’s where I’m at so far in terms of progress:
- I’ve outlined the course goals and learning objectives, the seven modules of content, and the supplemental worksheets
- I’ve created the course shell in Teachery so that I have a place to put all the content as I’m creating it… here’s a little sneak peek:
- I’ve drafted over 19,000 words of video scripts (probably a little more than half of what will be included in the course content)
- I’ve bought the domain name for the course website
And here’s what I have left to do…
- Finish drafting the video scripts (I’ve got four modules and at least 40ish videos left to go)
- Create the video slide decks
- Record the script audio
- Edit the course videos to combine the audio and slide deck visuals
- Upload the videos and video transcripts into the course
- Edit and upload the supplemental worksheets for each module
- Build the website to market Blend by Design (hopefully this will happen this weekend)
- Finalize the pricing structure for individual and institutional packages
- Email all my client contacts to let them know the course is available!
My goal is to have the course ready to go in early June, so I’m operating on all cylinders to make that happen.
If this project sounds like something you might want to know more about, I’ve created a sign-up form so that you can be contacted when I release the website… join that list here!