This year, I decided to draft a shorthand list of my goals that I can refer to throughout the year. Some of these are tied to longer-term strategies and plans, but others are just for fun.
Now that we’re wrapping up the third quarter of the year, it’s time to check in on my goals and see how things are going.
As a reminder, I was able to check several goals off my list in Q1 and Q2 including:
- Complete a Yin yoga teacher training. I completed this goal in January.
- De-clutter my closet and dresser and donate clothes that I no longer need/want. I completed this in the first month of the year and talked about some of my lessons learned in this blog post.
- Earn a Disciplined Agile Scrum Master (DASM) credential. I passed the exam in January.
- Complete my 300-hour yoga teacher training. Done! This was accomplished in February.
- Read Anna Karenina. Done! I finished this book in March.
- Start a regular meditation practice. Done! I’ve been meditating daily (and sometimes twice a day) since the beginning of January.
- Hit 1,000 hours of coaching experience (I started 2021 at around 800 hours). Done! I was able to complete this goal very early in Q2, and I’m now working toward a higher goal of hours accumulated for the year.
- Pay off our mortgage. Done! We paid off our mortgage in May of this year and it felt really great! (And then turned around, bought a new house, and have a mortgage again… looks like that will be a new goal for 2022!)
- Teach 60+ hours of yoga throughout the year — to hit 100 total hours by the end of 2021 — so that I can apply for my next credential. Done! I was able to complete all of my 100 yoga teaching hours by the end of June, so I can now apply for my next Yoga Alliance credential!
- Get a COVID-19 vaccine when they become available in my area. Done! This was one of the highlights of my year!
- Watch all the Marvel movies (there are 24 — and counting). Done! We’re now working our way through a few Marvel television shows as we wait for the next movies to be released.
- Get a haircut (as I write this, the last one I had was over a year ago). Done! I got a haircut at the end of May and it was really nice! I’m keeping my hair longer for now, so no return to the pixie cut any time soon.
In Q3, I had some big life changes that also resulted in some changes to my annual goals. I decided to retire some goals and add others.
Here’s an update on how things are going with my remaining 9 goals:
- Accredit my coach training program through the International Coaching Federation. Done! So excited to cross this off my list!
- Read 100+ books throughout the year (connect with me on Goodreads to see what I’m reading). Done! I finished this goal by the end of August and it was a great summer of reading.
- Match or surpass this year’s business revenue. This was a goal that I decided to retire. Since Q3 included both a move and starting a new job, I didn’t want the pressure of pushing for more revenue in the side business. That said, we are at about 80% to last year’s revenue goal, which feels pretty good!
- Hire someone to install cabinets in our laundry room. I switched out this goal for selling a house and buying a house. Calling this one done!
- Order a new mattress for our bed. This is also done! The mattress hasn’t arrived yet, but it’s been ordered and is on the way. Can’t wait to feel the difference once it gets here and we also celebrated with some new bedding as well.
- Figure out the next book I’m going to write and make progress on the proposal / manuscript. I switched out this goal for complete my 200-hour meditation YTT & earn a change management certificate. Both of these were completed in Q3 right before we moved to Denver.
- Design and launch a new project management offering for my business. This goal got switched out for start a new job. Check! That one is done as well!
- Take more walks. This is happening! Mostly these walks are for my commute and for some walking meetings at work or during my lunch hour, but I’m happy with that for now. We’re also planning to purchase a new treadmill in Q4, which should add to the progress on this goal.
- Finish all the books in Elizabeth George’s Inspector Lynley series (there are six books remaining as I write this). I am so behind on this goal! But it’s one of only a couple that I have left, so there is still hope to complete it in Q4!
With all the unexpected changes that we’ve had this year, I’m thrilled to have accomplished so much on this list at this stage in the year.
How are your goals for 2021 going so far? What do you want to prioritize in Q4?