This year, I decided to draft a shorthand list of my goals that I can refer to throughout the year. Some of these are tied to longer-term strategies and plans, but others are just for fun.
Now that we’re wrapping up the first quarter of the year, it’s time to check in on my goals and see how things are going.
Here are my 21 goals for 2021 and the progress I’ve made so far:
- Read Anna Karenina. Done! I finished this book in March and really enjoyed it! I’m planning to watch the latest movie adaptation in celebration of accomplishing this goal.
- Pay off our mortgage. We’ve had some good progress on this goal. Since the beginning of the year, we’ve paid off almost 1/3 of our remaining balance, so this goal feels on track.
- Complete my 300-hour yoga teacher training. Done! This was accomplished in February and then I launched into another 200-hour yoga teacher training specifically focused on meditation (that wraps up in Q2).
- Hire someone to install cabinets in our laundry room. We contacted a local person about this, but have been playing a lot of phone tag. Hopefully we can make more progress on this in Q2.
- Order a new mattress for our bed. This hasn’t happened yet, but I’m happy to put this off to later in the year once my partner and I both have our COVID-19 vaccines since it will involve delivery people coming into our house.
- Teach 60+ hours of yoga throughout the year — to hit 100 total hours by the end of 2021 — so that I can apply for my next credential. I’ve made good progress on this goal as well! Since the beginning of the year, I’ve taught an additional 20 hours or so of yoga, so I’m currently at about 60 hours out of 100. There are an additional 27 hours scheduled over the coming months, so I just need to book 13 more appointments before this goal can be met. (You can sign up for a free 1:1 virtual yoga session with me here.)
- Hit 1,000 hours of coaching experience (I started 2021 at around 800 hours). This goal is also progressing well. I count my coaching hours by what is scheduled, and those hours currently add up to 985 hours so far this year. My private coaching practice has exploded in Q1, so I expect that meeting this goal (and surpassing it) will happen in Q2.
- Earn a Disciplined Agile Scrum Master (DASM) credential. This is done! I passed the exam in January and since then I’ve also completed the 7 professional development hours required to renew the credential next year.
- Complete a Yin yoga teacher training. I completed this goal in January and have been implementing what I learned into my private yoga sessions with folks who are looking for a more restorative and slow practice.
- Figure out the next book I’m going to write and make progress on the proposal / manuscript. I had been working with a book coach, but I paused that process since I’ve had a lot going on and was feeling a bit drained. I consider this goal still in progress, but I think it might be accomplished in a way that I wasn’t planning in the beginning of the year.
- Accredit my coach training program through the International Coaching Federation. I just submitted the application to accredit my coach training program this past weekend! It took about two years of work to get to this stage, so it felt like a major milestone. It can take 4–6 months for ICF to review all the materials and get back to me, so I’ll probably know the final decision about this in Q3.
- Get a COVID-19 vaccine when they become available in my area. I was surprised to get an invitation to schedule my first COVID-19 vaccine shot in March, so this goal is underway a lot earlier than I thought it would be. I talked about the process of getting my first vaccine shot in this podcast episode if you want to hear more.
- De-clutter my closet and dresser and donate clothes that I no longer need/want. Done! I completed this in the first month of the year and talked about some of my lessons learned in this blog post.
- Read 100+ books throughout the year (connect with me on Goodreads to see what I’m reading). This goal is also progressing well. I’ve read 30 books so far this year, so I’m well on my way to reading 100+ books in 2021.
- Design and launch a new project management offering for my business. With all the other projects on my plate in Q1, I didn’t make much progress on this goal. I have an outline for this offering, but I’m not quite sure of the timeline for design and launch. I hope to make some decisions about moving this forward in Q2.
- Watch all the Marvel movies (there are 24 — and counting). This has been one of the more fun goals on my list! So far, my partner and I have watched 8 Marvel movies and also started one of the spin-off television shows. This has been a great way for us to spend time together and we’ve had some interesting conversations about each movie and how they build on each other.
- Match or surpass this year’s business revenue. Our current business revenue is projected at about 43% of last year’s revenue, so this goal is on track. I felt like last year was a bit anomalous in terms of our business growth, so I’m pleased with where we are at this point in the year.
- Get a haircut (as I write this, the last one I had was over a year ago). I haven’t made progress on this goal yet, other than starting the process of getting my first vaccine shot. Right now, I’m hoping that this will happen in May.
- Finish all the books in Elizabeth George’s Inspector Lynley series (there are six books remaining as I write this). In all the reading I’ve done so far this year, I haven’t made progress on this series yet. I’m looking forward to diving into the next book in Q2 and reading the rest of the series in the remainder of the year.
- Take more walks. Although our weather has warmed up a lot in March, I still haven’t gotten out much for walks. I think I’ll feel better about doing this once I’m fully vaccinated, so the summer months should see some more progress on this goal.
- Start a regular meditation practice. Done! I’ve been meditating daily (and sometimes twice a day) since the beginning of January. I love this practice and have been using the Insight Timer app for guided meditations.
How are your goals for 2021 going so far?